Sunday, January 9, 2011

Progress


Good morning everyone,

Today is my 28th birthday, and the best present I could receive has been Ethan's successful heart surgery. Ethan is doing very well right now. We are past the first 48 hours, which tend to be the most critical. They are slowly removing all of the additional tubing and wires from his body, and he's off the ventilator full time. They put his trach tube back in yesterday, and started him back on pressure support breathing last night. His nurse told me this morning that they are talking about trying him on the mist collar later today. She even mentioned the possibility of him stepping down to the regular NICU tomorrow.

I'm so thankful that his recovery has been text book so far. Hopefully this surgery will finally be the step he needs to start thriving. He's such a happy and loving little boy, and he's developed quite a loyal following of care providers in the NICU. Several nurses that he's never had care for him personally, routinely stop by to visit him. At this time we still don't have a time frame of when he might finally come home, but it's reassuring that we are one GIANT step closer to that day.

Grandma Carol is at the house with us through the 20th, which is a huge help for us. Grandma Suzy and Kelsey flew into Boston Thursday night, and are staying at a hotel right next to the hospital. It's been a blessing to have them here, as Tina and Kevin are both sick right now and aren't aloud to visit with Ethan. I've been down every day, but they told me not to come today since they are both sick. I don't think I could have handled doing that without knowing my mom and sister will be by his bedside as he continues to recover. Thank you very much!

Thank you to everyone for the prayers and good wishes. I'm convinced they've made all of the difference in his surgery and recovery. We love you all, and hope you have a great week. We cannot wait until we can share Ethan with you all.

Much love,

Ryan, Tina, Ethan, and Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment